Question on +universal Variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 17 02:18:04 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 20:58, Nathan Brazil wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 2007, at 15:35, Nathan Brazil wrote:
>>
>>> If I install a port with a +universal variant on top of a clean
>>> install of MacPorts, does that it mean all its dependencies will
>>> also be built using the +universal variant as well?
>>
>> I think it should, yes.
>>
>> This goes for any variant you select, in fact, so long as the
>> dependent ports provide that variant.
>
> If one or more dependents do not support the +universal variant,
> will there be a warning or error message produced?

Well, those dependent ports will just be built without universal
support. (This is the same for all variants and all ports: if you ask
for a variant that does not exist, no error is produced; the port is
simply built without that nonexistent variant.)

If the port you are ultimately trying to build does depend on a
universal version of that dependent port which has no universal
support, then you will likely get errors at that point.