ion3 window manager no longer available

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 17 09:22:20 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:01:58PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> On 2007-12-17 13:35:00 +0100, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>>> since  `ion3'  actually  is a very fine window manager for a
>>> certain type of work, may I ask  you  to  check  whether  it
>>> would'nt  be  sufficient  to  modify  the  package info line
>>> accordingly with some "wildcard" disclaimer of the kind:
>>>
>>> "if  this  version is older than xxx weeks, please take note
>>> that this version is considered "obsolete" by  the  original
>>> author. upgrade manually to the most recent version found at
>>> http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/  before  sending   bug
>>> reports or questions to the author"
>>
>> The name also needs to be changed.
>
> what  name?   the  name  of  the  package?   why not call it
> `ion3_x11-wm'  or  whatever?   I  think  one  should  be  as
> pragmatic as possible about this: problem is artficial (from
> macports point of view, anyway), but ion3 is good  software,
> so  make  the  name  change, explain reason in package info,
> provide package and forget about the "noise". this  possible
> or not?
>
> joerg

Because using the name ion3 in any form would be a license violation.
Given the author's
propensity for flame wars (not to mention possible law suits) I think
IMHO we are better off without him.

May I suggest you complain to the author instead.  Why doesnt he
incorporate a check for updates in his software
and tell the end user there is no support for non-current versions if
this bothers him so much?

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.1 Darwin 9.1.0
X11.app 2.1.1 - (xorg-server 1.3.0-apple5)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non