what configuration files are read?

Michael Stillwell mjs at beebo.org
Mon Dec 31 04:48:21 PST 2007

How does "port" figure out which configuration files to read?  Mine is
now trying to get configuration information from a non-existent file:
I have a (source-compiled) version installed in /Ports, and then
installed another temporary version into $HOME/scratch/ports (via ./
configure --prefix=$HOME/scratch/ports, to see whether a dependency
problem with ncursesw had been fixed).  Running /Ports/bin/port now
produces an error message:

boom:~$ /Ports/bin/port --help
sources_conf must be set in /Users/mjs/scratch/ports/etc/macports/
macports.conf or in your /Users/mjs/.macports/macports.conf file
     while executing
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /Ports/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sources_conf
must be set in /Users/mjs/scratch/ports/etc/macports/macports.conf or
in your /Users/mjs/.macports/macports.conf file

Where is it getting the "scratch" directory from?  There's nothing in
$HOME/.macports except for a history file, and there's nothing in my
environment either.  /Ports/bin/ports itself appears to be unchanged,
and rgrep over the /Ports directory gives nothing as well.

Also, why does "make install" require root privileges?  I tried to
install without "sudo" to try to prevent the temporary install from
making changes to my existing configuration files, but it won't
actually install this way.

--M.

--
http://beebo.org