Mysql5 password reset

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 6 13:40:46 PST 2007

You need to use the "Reply To All" feature of your mail program so
your reply goes to the mailing list also, not just to me. More
answers below:

On Feb 6, 2007, at 14:49, Watson Ladd wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 6, 2007, at 14:20, Watson Ladd wrote:
>>
>>> I recently forgot my mysql password. When following the
>>> instructions on
>>> mysql.com to reset it I was able to stop the mysqld daemon through
>>> launchctl, but when I started mysqld manually with the skip grant
>>> tables
>>>  option it complained about being unable to lock files and became a
>>> runaway process that did not respond to keyboard input.
>>
>> So what is your question?
>>
>> You've provided very few details... we need more information, like:
>>
>> - What is the URL of the instructions you followed?
>>
>> - What are the commands you entered?
>>
>> I can guess at a few things:
>>
>> - When you started mysqld manually, did you do so as root or with
>> sudo?
>> You would need to.
>>
>> - When you started mysqld manually, did you have "&" at the end of
>> the
>> command line? If so, that detaches the process from the terminal and
>> explains why you can see output but not provide input. If you want
>> to be
>> able to provide input to the process, do not use "&".
>
> I did not use &. The command I used for restart was
> $sudo -u mysqld /opt/local/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant-tables
> According to the mysqld documentation, this should start mysqld
> without
> passwords. Previously I used
> $sudo launchctl stop org.macports.mysql5 to kill mysqld. It is
> possible
> that an abandoned lockfile might exist. If so, where is it?

I don't know about any such lockfile, but likely places to look might be

/opt/local/etc/mysq5/
/opt/local/var/db/mysql5/
/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/

If that doesn't help, could you show us the exact error messages
you're seeing? Have you already searched Google for those error
messages?