XFree86 / XDarwin and change of hostname

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 22:15:46 PST 2007

Hello,

Today I needed to change the hostname of a Mac (running 10.4.8) which has
previously been installed with numerous MacPorts including XDarwin via
XFree86.

After changing the hostname and then running:

$ startx

I could not connect to the X server, so I had to change the hostname back to
the name that was used when the MacPorts were built and installed.

I'm not ultra familiar with X and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest how to
change the hostname without having to uninstall and then reinstall?

In general, is it a risk to many other MacPorts to later change the
hostname?

Thanks for any suggestions,

TM