Universal Binaries

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Feb 23 09:23:40 PST 2007

Is that one of them-there rhetorical questions? :-)

There are lots of good reasons to want universal binaries.   For one,
it allows you to NFS/AFP/... share a single /opt/local among machines
(who says that directory always has to be local?) without having to
worry about which architecture those machines are.   It also allows
you to archive up a carefully built-up /opt/local (+ /Applications/
DarwinPorts) and give it to other people, of course.

Finally, perhaps the best reason for building universal is the
eventual (any year now, I'm sure, and almost certainly by the next
millennium) move to releasing packaged versions of MacPorts software,
complete with dependency tracking.  You don't want to have 2 sets of
packages (assuming that only 32 bit ABIs are important) in what would
eventually be a multi-thousand package archive.

Universal Binaries are definitely the way forward on the Mac and
porters should be encouraged to shoot for them as the rule rather
than the exception.   If disk space is a problem for any of the
targets (and it's not that big an increase), they can always be
thinned post-install time.

- Jordan