XFree86 / XDarwin and change of hostname

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:02:41 PST 2007

On 2/23/07, Kevin Ballard <eridius at macports.org> wrote:

> I'm not particularly familiar with how X servers work, but I thought that
> usually to connect to a local X server you set your DISPLAY to :0.0 which
> makes it connect to localhost.
>
> Perhaps installing XFree86 does something to set DISPLAY to your
> particular hostname? This seems odd, but I don't know any reason for your
> hostname to affect this otherwise.
>
> What do you get if you do an `echo $DISPLAY`?

Thanks Kevin for your suggestion. When I am in a normal terminal shell on OS
X, and if I echo $DISPLAY as you suggest, I get nothing back in the shell. I
don't have $DISPLAY defined in my bash profile (should I have? I didn't seem
to have a problem with startx prior to my Computer Name and thus hostname
change)? Before the change, I would type "startx" on the command line and in
doing so XDarwin would launch. I would then select the Full Screen or
Rootless option and then my window manager (wmaker) would go to work and I'd
see a few icons and from there I could go to town.

After changing the Computer Name and therefore, indirectly, the hostname,
and when I would type 'startx' on the command line in a new shell, XDarwin
will launch but then when I select either Full Screen or Rootless, I see the
following repeated in the shell that I started X from:

> Xlib: No protocol specified

I'm not an expert with regard to X so I wonder what to make of this. Also
(even before I made the changes to the Computer Name), once I had X up and
running, I could only run apps like OpenOffice from an xterm terminal shell
but never from an OS X terminal shell. I suppose it must have something to
do with how Xterm is configured ... are there some decent HowTos to read
with regard to how to best set up one's bash profile on OS X in order to be
able to run X apps from the normal terminal shell instead of requiring to
run under Xterm, all in the context of MacPorts?

Thanks for your suggestions!

TM