(no subject)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 3 21:46:08 PST 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 19:54, James Coyle wrote:

> Sorry, still confused here, but I'm wondering if I've hit on
> something here. Note these instructions from the web site:
>
>> If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther", Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" or
>> a Bourne shell (bash, zsh), add the following line to your
>> ~/.profile:
>>
>> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin
>>
>> If you are using Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" or a C shell (tcsh), add
>> the following line to your ~/.cshrc:
>>
>> set path=($path /opt/local/bin)
>
> Since Tiger  (OS10.4) includes a tcsh shell rather than the old
> bash shell, should this edit cure the problem? I'm reluctant to
> edit this file before I know because it relates to my Fink setup
> and I'm a novice.

James, that's not correct.

In Mac OS X up to and including 10.2.x, tcsh was the default shell.
In 10.3.0 and later, bash is the default shell. But if you used Mac
OS X 10.2.x or earlier and upgraded to 10.3.0 or later, then your
user accounts will still be using tcsh instead of bash.

On any version of the OS you can change which shell you use by using
NetInfo Manager. Go to users > your username, click the lock to
unlock it to make changes (supply an admin username and password),
scroll down to the entry for "shell", and set it to either /bin/bash
or /bin/tcsh as you prefer.

See also this Apple Knowledge Base article, which has a different
solution:

So the information from the web site you quoted is correct.
Instructions are provided for what file you should edit and what
content you should enter depending on what kind of shell you use. So
type "echo $SHELL" to see what shell you use, and follow the relevant
instructions from those you quoted above.