cross compiling mac ports and intel vs. PPC architecture

David Smoot davidsmoot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 20:24:14 PST 2007

I too just received my shiny new Mac Book Pro today and am upgrading from a
Powerbook G4 as well.

I used Apple's "firewire upgrade method" where I connected my old laptop to
my new one with a firewire cable and it automagically sucked everything
over.  It worked amazingly well.  Everything works.  I expected broken
binaries  and heartache but it all "just works" including all my ports.

I assume my ports are running with that Rosetta translation module.  Will
they run faster if I do a clean re-compile?  I wonder if there might be some
way to add an option to similar to selfupdate that is a an"arch-migrate"
target that recompiles all targets for the new architecture.

David