variants question

belinda thom bthom at cs.hmc.edu
Sun Jan 7 15:28:02 PST 2007

Hi,

How am I to know if I should be installing a port w/no extra variants
used?

In particular, I want to install subversion, whose info is:

--------

32 % port info subversion
subversion 1.4.2, devel/subversion (Variants: mod_dav_svn, no_neon,
no_bdb, mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn, tools, darwin_7)
http://subversion.tigris.org/

Subversion is a version control system designed to be as similar to
cvs(1) as possible, while fixing many outstanding problems with cvs(1).

Library Dependencies: expat, neon, apr, apr-util, db44
Maintainers: dluke at geeklair.net

-------

I am uncertain how to determine what these things are (e.g. tools). I
know I don't want the server, but the others mean nothing to me.

Thanks,

--b