mysql5: is it running and how can I tell?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 10 13:43:24 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:29, markd at macports.org wrote:

> On Monday, July 9, 2007 at 11:03 PM paul beard wrote:
>
>> My guess is that it isn't. And I don't know why. Using ps gives me
>> this.
>>
>> root        47   0.0  0.1    27884    816  ??  Ss   10:46PM   0:00.04
>> /opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=mysql5 --start-cmd
>> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5/mysql5.wrapper
>> start ;
>> --stop-cmd
>> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5/mysql5.wrapper
>> stop ;
>> --restart-cmd
>> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5/mysql5.wrapper
>> restart ;
>> --pid=/opt/local/var/mysql.pid
>>

>> running the script by hand gives me this.
>>

>> /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5/mysql5.wrapper start
>> Starting MySQL/opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql/mysql.server: line
>> 159: kill:
>> (580) - No such process
>>

>> the offending line 159?
>>

>>    152 wait_for_pid () {
>>    153   i=0
>>    154   while test $i -ne $service_startup_timeout ; do
>>    155     sleep 1
>>    156     case "$1" in
>>    157       'created')
>>    158         test -s $pid_file && i='' && break
>>    159         kill -0 $2 || break # if the program goes away, stop
>> waiting
>>    160         ;;
>>    161       'removed')
>>

>> and I get these messages now:
>> Workaround Bonjour: Unknown error: 0
>>

>> I don't think they are anything to do with mysql, perhaps apache2
>> since
>> it doesn't do zeroconf stuff like the vendor-supplied httpd.
>
> Yeah, doesn't look like it is running because I don't see mysqld
> running
> in the ps output.  The Bonjour message is unrelated, though I'm not
> sure
> why they occur.  Is it a new install, and if so have you run
> mysql_install_db5?  Here is how I setup mysql5.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/duling/halfdozen/NeDi-Howto.html#d0e94

Also, have a look at the MySQL error log. See if it says anything
helpful.

You're not really meant to run the wrapper script yourself. The
correct way to stop MySQL is:

sudo launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.mysql5.plist

And the correct way to start it is:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5.plist