Avoiding the installation of dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 17 18:26:15 PDT 2007

On Jul 17, 2007, at 18:51, Alec Resnick wrote:

> Hi!  I'm looking to install py-ipython, py-beautifulsoup, and
> psycopg2.  I'm running python25 and postgresql82, but those ports
> "require" python24 and postgresql81, despite the versions that
> macports installs supporting python25 and postgresql82.  I was
> wondering: is there a way to force a port to install, without
> installing its dependents?  I know I could just compile this from
> source, but I really like using macports. . .

No, there's no way to install a port without its dependencies.
Instead the ports should be fixed so they have the dependencies you
want.

py-ipython, py-beautifulsoup and py-psycopg2 require python24 because
that is what ports whose names begin with "py-" do. Ports that depend
on python25 have names that begin with "py25-". It was decided some
time ago that since Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 are so different, there
must be separate ports for Python 2.4 and Python 2.5 versions of each
other port. Someone with knowledge of Python (which would not be me)
would have to make copies of those ports and call them py25-ipython,
py25-beautifulsoup and py25-psycopg2 and fix them up so that they
work with Python 2.5.

Only py-psycopg2 seems to require PostgreSQL. The port is maintained
by Landon Fuller. You could ask him if it is possible to provide a
postgresql82 variant for that port.