Can't compile/Make 1.5.0 on a MacBook (was Re: MacPorts 1.5.0 released)

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:05:22 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>> $  ./configure && make
>> checking build system type... configure: error: /bin/sh ./
>> config.sub -apple-darwin8.10.1 failed
>> configure: WARNING: Cache variable ac_cv_build contains a newline.
>> zsh: 10685 exit 1     ./configure
>>
>> Running 10.4.10 on a MacBook 2Ghz Core Duo
>
> In a more recent post you claimed you don't have much understanding
> of things at this level. OK, but then: did you manually switch from
> the default bash shell to zsh? I wonder what else is different in
> your system (and that you might not be aware of) that could be
> making the system type check fail...

Sorry for the confusion.

At the shell/commandline level, I know my way around a lot.  Been
doing that for 12+ years.

On the gcc/programming/compiling level, I know "configure" and "make"
and "make install".... if that doesn't work, I'm hosed.

Sorta like being a good driver but having no idea what to do under
the hood of a car :-)

I started using zsh back in the day because I had a friend who was a
programmer who taught me how to do a lot with it back when t/csh was
what most people were using and I was trying to write scripts, etc.
Have used it ever since.

TjL