newbie selfupdate fails

Jerry Isdale isdale at avinc.com
Fri Jul 20 16:52:57 PDT 2007

I've been trying for a couple daze to get Darwin/MacPorts to install
but still have problems.
I followed the directions on  the wiki
    http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts

but when I get to the update step I get....

$ sudo port -d selfupdate
DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/
release/ports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/
release/ports
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/
rsync-24.1/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
DEBUG: Couldn't sync the ports tree: sync failed doing rsync
     while executing
"macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the
ports tree: sync failed doing rsync

It looks like rsync is failing to connect.  Perhaps the server is too
busy?
Or perhaps my company firewalls are blocking it?
Suggestions?
Thanks

Jerry Isdale
isdale at avinc.com