how to start with macports ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 22 11:26:44 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 09:32, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le dimanche, 22 juil 2007, à 12:43 Europe/Paris, Thomas De Contes a
> écrit :
>
>> Le lundi, 15 jan 2007, à 12:14 Europe/Paris, Matthias Steinbeck a
>> écrit :

>>> I think you won't need svn these days to start with macports.
>>
>> i would like to make a script which automatically install macports
>> if it's not installed, and update it if it is already installed
>> (like the one i made with cvs)
>> how to do that ?

To install MacPorts, download the latest disk image for you OS from
(currently) here:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/downloads/
MacPorts-1.5.0

And read the relevant page in the wiki for how to install it:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts

To update MacPorts, type "sudo port selfupdate".

I'm sure you can write a script to handle this. If /opt/local/bin/
port does not exist then download and install MacPorts 1.5.0. And
either way, selfupdate it to make sure it's up to date.

>> on https://libre.adacore.com/GtkAda/main.html there is
>> svn checkout http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda
>> regarding to http://www.macports.org/?page_id=4 does that mean i
>> have just to do
>> svn checkout http://svn.eu.adacore.com/anonsvn/Dev/trunk/GtkAda
>> ?
>> (anyway it would be nice to tell it on the website :-) )

I don't know why you think GtkAda is related to MacPorts... It's not.
We can't help you with GtkAda; ask on their list if you have a
question about it.

> i would say
> svn checkout http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
> of course :-)
>
> well, reading the svn help, it seems to be the right svn command,
> but it seems to not be the right url :-(
> is there an url that i can use, which will always give me the last
> version of macports, please ?
> http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/ ? i'll try it,
> but i would like have a confirmation :-)

The latest development version of the MacPorts code, which may not
work or may not work with the current portfiles, is:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/base/

There is no URL which always points to the latest stable released
version. The latest right now is:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_5_0/base/

You don't really need to get the code from out repository though.
Just download and install the disk image as above. Though you can
certainly build it from source if you prefer that, for some reason.

On Jul 22, 2007, at 05:43, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> btw, i have an other question for this script :
>
> i did
> port install gtk2
> port upgrade gtk2
> and often it doesn't works

"it doesn't works" is not a bug report we can do anything with. Show
us the actual output you receive, tell us what version of MacPorts,
Xcode and Mac OS X you have, what architecture you're on, etc. and
maybe we can help then.

> port install may do sth wrong if the port is already installed
>
> what can i do instead ?

True, "port install" doesn't work if the port is already installed.
That's why there's "port upgrade".