failed to build ports ocaml, xfig

Dimitri Hendriks diem at cs.vu.nl
Mon Jul 23 07:46:46 PDT 2007

On 29 Jun 2007, at 01:54, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2007, at 06:33, Dimitri Hendriks wrote:
[...]

>> I also tried to install port xfig, but again without succes:
>>
>> $ sudo port install xfig
>> Password:
>> --->  Fetching Xaw3d
>> --->  Attempting to fetch Xaw3d-1.5E.tar.gz from ftp://
>> ftp.visi.com/users/hawkeyd/X/
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for Xaw3d
>> --->  Extracting Xaw3d
>> --->  Configuring Xaw3d
>> --->  Building Xaw3d with target all
>> --->  Staging Xaw3d into destroot
>> --->  Installing Xaw3d 1.5E_0
>> --->  Activating Xaw3d 1.5E_0
>> Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /usr/X11R6/
>> include/X11/Xaw3d/AllWidgets.h already exists and does not belong
>> to a registered port.  Unable to activate port Xaw3d.
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: Xaw3d
>> ghostscript jpeg libpng zlib transfig netpbm jasper tiff
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> This is a problem with Xaw3d, not xfig. I do not have /usr/X11R6/
> include/X11/Xaw3d/AllWidgets.h on my system, but you apparently do.
> Perhaps you had MacPorts installed before, had Xaw3d installed with
> it before, you removed MacPorts, and then reinstalled MacPorts, and
> now it's finding bits that were left behind? Or perhaps you had
> Xaw3d installed before without MacPorts which it's now colliding
> with? Either way, you could probably safely force the install of
> Xaw3d to get it to overwrite any files it finds:
>
> sudo port -nf install Xaw3d

I tried this and xfig then installs fine, but I now get the same
problem as reported earlier:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-April/
002746.html

and:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-June/
003917.html

In the same thread it is suggested to build xfig without Xaw3d.
Is this a good idea? If so, can someone tell me how to do that or
add some explanantion to:

   You should find out which configure flag for building xfig is
   required to disable the use of Xaw3d (is xfig using configure or
   still imake/xmkmf?) and add it to configure-args.append.

Thanks,
Dimitri