Can't use rsync port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 24 15:57:32 PDT 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 14:37, miles3 wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

>> 1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
>> hard disk, such as to your home directory:
>>
>> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/
>> dports
>>
>> 2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
>> the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
>> working copy, in URL form, e.g.:
>>
>> file:///Users/rschmidt/dports
>
> Thanks for the info, it was very helpful and I am now further along
> in this
> process. Unfortunately, the install and quickstart instructions are
> telling
> me to do things that are erroring.
>
> Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport
>
> Here is what happens when I try...
>    $ sudo port -d selfupdate
>   DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
>   DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
>   Synchronizing from file:///opt/local/dports
>   DEBUG: MacPorts base dir:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
>   DEBUG: Setting user: root
>   MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
>   DEBUG: Updating using rsync
>   rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed
> out (60)
>   rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
>   DEBUG: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate
>       while executing
>   "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
>   Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync
> failed in
> selfupdate
>
> Clearly self update is using rsync - I guess this just won't work
> without
> rsync?

Correct. "selfupdate" uses rsync to get the latest MacPorts source
code. If you already have MacPorts 1.5, you already have the latest,
so you do not need to use "selfupdate". You can use "sync" instead.
When MacPorts 1.5.1 comes out we'll have to see what we do then.

>   $ sudo port search mysql
>   Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
>   Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have
> you
> synced your source indexes?
>
> I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where
> can I
> find out this information?

No, there's nothing else you need. The indexes it's talking about are
the file "PortIndex" which should be directly inside that directory.
Maybe this will clear up after a "sync".