rsync port & updating ports

miles3 miles-nabble at
Mon Jul 30 09:22:25 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2007, at 14:37, miles3 wrote:
>> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:
>>> 1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
>>> hard disk, such as to your home directory:
>>> svn co ~/dports
>>> 2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
>>> the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
>>> working copy, in URL form, e.g.:
>>> file:///Users/rschmidt/dports
>> Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport
>> Here is what happens when I try:    $ sudo port -d selfupdate
>>   rsync: failed to connect to Operation timed
>> out (60)
>>   Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync failed in
>> selfupdate
>> Clearly 'selfupdate' is using rsync - I guess this just won't work
>> without rsync?
> Correct. "selfupdate" uses rsync to get the latest MacPorts source
> code. If you already have MacPorts 1.5, you already have the latest,
> so you do not need to use "selfupdate". You can use "sync" instead.
> When MacPorts 1.5.1 comes out we'll have to see what we do then.
>>   $ sudo port search mysql
>>   Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
>>   Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have
>>    you synced your source indexes?
>> I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where
>> can I find out this information?
> No, there's nothing else you need. The indexes it's talking about are
> the file "PortIndex" which should be directly inside that directory.
> Maybe this will clear up after a "sync".

Thanks for the help. To be clear, what you were suggesting was that I use
the command:
  sudo port -d sync
rather than 'selfupdate'. 'sync' will use subversion to update the Ports
database, where selfupdate uses rsync.

What does 'selfupdate' do that 'sync' will not? Do I need to worry about
updating the 'ports' package when a new version comes out? Would it be OK
for me to just run the pkg installer?

Everything seems to be working - with the frustrating exception of db44 (see  )

Thanks again for your help,

- Miles
Sent from the MacPorts - Users mailing list archive at