libgcrypt and +universal variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 6 12:32:30 PDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 14:23, Chris Pickel wrote:

> On 06 Jun, 2007, at 15:02, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 6, 2007, at 11:43, Chris Pickel wrote:
>>
>>> variant universal { configure.args-append --disable-static }
>>
>> Doesn't redefining "variant universal" like that _overwrite_ the
>> default universal variant MacPorts provides, thereby making it no
>> longer attempt to build anything universal?
>
> Hmm, yes, that's probably true. As I said, I'm not experienced with
> +universal.
>
> I changed it by putting the following into "platform darwin 8" (on
> the assumption that anyone that currently wants +universal is on
> that platform).
>
>     if {[variant_isset universal]} {
>         configure.args-append --disable-static
>     }
>
> No dice. It looks like it's building some arch-specific libs, which
> fail when it looks to assemble a universal lib. But for future
> reference, is there a cleaner way to make a small change like that
> to the universal variant?

If you need to add to the default universal variant, rather than
replace it entirely, you could probably do something like the above
in pre-configure. That would probably be a good place. Doing it in
the darwin 8 platform is not great, because while you need 10.4 or
later to do universal, somebody might be running a pre-release of 10.5.