DocBook 4.1.2 XML Weirdness (gtk-doc install fails)

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 16:04:38 PDT 2007

I'm getting more gtk-doc weirdness, and I only installed it earlier
tonight. The error was:

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity
"http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl"
compilation error: file /opt/local/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.xsl line
6 element import
xsl:import : unable to load
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl

^^ whats interesting about this error is that its nothing to do with
the catalog, since the entities that arent resolved are all URLs. The
failing command was:
gtkdoc-mkhtml cairo ../cairo-docs.xml
(I was building cairo's docs from git with 'make doc'.)

So I tried this:
sh -x `which gtkdoc-mkhtml` cairo ../cairo-docs.xml
 and got:
... after some faff
+ /opt/local/bin/xsltproc --nonet --xinclude --stringparam
gtkdoc.bookname cairo --stringparam gtkdoc.version 1.8
/opt/local/share/gtk-doc/data/gtk-doc.xsl ../cairo-docs.xml
... then the error.

The problem is --nonet. The combination of nonet and absolute urls
(rather than local catalog references) obviously can't work.

Any idea how I could have ended up with this combo? Is there something
in macports filling in absolute urls without turning off --nonet?

Cheers,
Baz