gnupg & gnupg2

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Fri Jun 15 01:24:10 PDT 2007

Citando Troy Telford :
> I'm normally a Gentoo (linux) user, so I'm wondering if MacPorts has similar
> functionality:
>
> In Gentoo, when there are multiple versions of a package (such as gnupg vs
> gnupg2), you can select which one is 'active' using a tool called eselect.
>
> Basically all that happens is some symlinks are moved around (ie. gpg ->
> gpg[12].  Does MacPorts have anything that does this, or do I have to do such
> things manually?

Basically, this behaviour is exactly tht of activate/deactivate. You can
choose which port is active by doing:

port deactivate gnupg; port activate gnupg2

I am not sure if it really works for gnupg2/gnupg as I do not know if
they both install /opt/local/bin/gpg. However, this should be the case,
and it means you have to deactivate gnupg when you "install" gnupg2
(install contains activating).

For finer ways, there was a proposal of a port_alternatives (as in
debian, pkgsrc or probably gentoo) that would allow you if you have
several ports providing gpg or mysql or python... that would
create/update the adequate symlink to the chosen app and prevent
conflicts when you install two ports providing the same file. I am not
sure it is being implemented.

Emmanuel