php5 and heimdal (was: Re: php5 and gd 2.0.35)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 25 16:05:38 PDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 17:54, paul beard wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2007, at 17:50, paul beard wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> It sounds like you have kerberos5 installed (/opt/local/lib/
>>> libkrb5.dylib) and that it depends on something called libcom_err.
>>> 1.dylib which is not present. Do you know what libcom_err.1.dylib
>>> is?
>>> I don't. If you do, install whatever port provides that. Also, do
>>> you
>>> need kerberos5? If not, uninstall it. The php5 port currently uses
>>> the kerberos libraries in Mac OS X instead of the ones from
>>> MacPorts.
>>> This is not quite in line with MacPorts philosophy of always using
>>> its own software, but on the other hand I have very little idea what
>>> kerberos is for or why I might want it, which is why I haven't
>>> addressed this matter in the portfile yet.
>>
>> /opt/local/lib/libcom_err.1.dylib is provided by: heimdal
>>
>> I think there was some ugliness with heimdal (that installs it's
>> own binary called 'su') some time back.
>
> port info heimdal yields this:
>
> Kerberos provides a means of verifying the identities of
> principals, (e.g., a workstation user or a network server) on an
> open (unprotected) network. This is accomplished without relying on
> authentication by the host operating system, without basing trust
> on host addresses, without requiring physical security of all the
> hosts on the network, and under the assumption that packets
> traveling along the network can be read, modified, and inserted at
> will.
>
> port provides /opt/local/lib/libkrb5.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libkrb5.dylib is provided by: heimdal
>
> heimdal, in turn, is required by gnome-vfs.

I'm not familiar with heimdal and I have no idea why php5 is trying
to use heimdal for kerberos support since the php5 portfile says:

	--with-kerberos=/usr

Does /opt/local/lib/libcom_err.1.dylib actually exist on your system?
As you saw from the error message, /opt/local/lib/libkrb5.dylib was
unable to open it. Perhaps you just need to rebuild heimdal.

Perhaps heimdal needs to be updated. Version 0.8.1 has been available
since April 2007. I'm Cc'ing the maintainer.