MySQL5 install stuff

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 25 16:39:20 PDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 18:11, paul beard wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Portfiles are designed to install one software package, not multiple
>> packages. Creating a port that installs multiple packages would be
>> very difficult since the portfile syntax is not structured for that.
>> I don't know of any ports that install multiple packages, and I don't
>> think that's the way we want to go with this project. The MacPorts
>> way is for ports to depend on other ports that they require. This is
>> fairly normal for package managers, I think.
>
> That depends: when you install gnome, that installs a bunch of
> component ports, doesn't it?
> from port info gnome:
> GNOME is a complete, free and easy-to-use desktop environment for
> users, as well as a powerful application development framework for
> software developers. This port includes the GNOME desktop, GNOME
> platform, and, optionally the GNOME office.
>
> Library Dependencies: gnome-desktop-suite
>
> And the FreeBSD ports collection offers this example.
> /usr/ports/misc/instant-server
> cat pkg-descr
> instant server installs a typical set of ports for a server
>

> I'm sure there are uses for bundles likes this beyond the ones that
> exist currently.

"gnome" doesn't install any software; it just depends on "gnome-
desktop-suite." "gnome-desktop-suite" doesn't install any software
either; it just depends on several dozen other ports. So in that way
it's no different from the php5 port, which also depends on various
other ports, like apache2 and mysql5, provided you select the
+apache2 and +mysql5 variants. Unfortunately, as I said, this would
result in installing the mysql5 port without the +server variant,
which you currently need if you want to run a mysql server.