How image installs work [was Re: The image question]

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Mar 9 13:19:29 PST 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> That's not how image mode works now - and I'm not sure that we want
> to impose the burden of verifying abi/api compatibility between
> releases on every portfile author (if we were to add hooks to make
> things work that way).

You'd prefer that burden be foisted on the users, eh?  Those who are
perhaps least qualified to diagnose and fix the problem? :-)

The fact that API/ABI compatibility is frequently broken is an ugly
little secret of our business and somebody, somewhere, always ends up
dealing with it.   For fan-out reasons alone, that someone should be
as far upstream as possible.

- Jordan