MAMP installation fails over libxml on MacBook

Elise van Looij evlooij at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 10 04:26:04 PST 2007

Six months ago I did a darwinports installation of PHP5 +MySQL5
+Apache2 on my iBook, which, after some troubles, worked well. Now
I'm trying to do the same on a MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo running
under MacOS 10.4.8 and I'm getting nowhere.
I've followed the InstallingMacPorts wiki. I've copied and executed
all the Terminal commands in the Quickstart. The environment
variables appear to be correct, apart from maybe the PATH variable,
which does not start with MacPorts path but looks like this:

PATH=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql:/opt/local/bin/mysql5:/usr/local/
mysql/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/lib/
mysql5/bin/mysqladmin:/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql

Then I downloaded the DarwinPorts1.3.1-10.4.dmg and used it to do the
ports installation. This went well and when I executed a 'sudo ports
selfupdate', I was told that MacPorts was completely up-to-date.

Then I tried following the UsingMacPortsQuickStart, but when I issued
the command 'sudo port -v install php5 +apache2 +mysql5' I soon ran
into problems:

Configuring extensions
checking whether to enable LIBXML support... yes
checking libxml2 install dir... /opt/local
checking for xml2-config path... /opt/local/bin/xml2-config
checking whether libxml build works... no
configure: error: build test failed.  Please check the config.log for
details.

Warning: the following items did not execute (for php5):
com.apple.activate com.apple.configure com.apple.build
com.apple.destroot com.apple.install

I googled on problems with libxml, but I seem to be the only one who
installation fails on this. Perhaps foolishly, I tried to correct the
problem by installing libxml, but to no avail:

sudo port install libxml2
Password:
--->  Fetching libxml2
--->  Attempting to fetch libxml2-2.6.27.tar.gz from http://
ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/libxml2/2.6/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for libxml2
--->  Extracting libxml2
--->  Configuring libxml2
--->  Building libxml2 with target all
--->  Staging libxml2 into destroot
--->  Installing libxml2 2.6.27_0
--->  Activating libxml2 2.6.27_0
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: Another
version of libxml2 (2.6.23_0) is already active.

I have no idea what to do next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Elise van Looij