"sudo port -d selfupdate" fails to update MacPorts installation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 14:37:53 PDT 2007

On Mar 26, 2007, at 13:22, Paulo Moura wrote:

> For more than a week, "sudo port -d selfupdate" fails to update my
> MacPorts installation. All worked fine a week ago. The command
> output is:
>
> pmmbp:~ pmoura$ sudo port -d selfupdate
> DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
> Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/dpupdate/dports
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 77 bytes  received 234721 bytes  5944.25 bytes/sec
> total size is 14267567  speedup is 60.77
> DEBUG: MacPorts base dir: /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate1/base
> DEBUG: Setting user: root
> DarwinPorts base version 1.320 installed
> DEBUG: Updating using rsync
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 77 bytes  received 4524 bytes  296.84 bytes/sec
> total size is 2504037  speedup is 544.24
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.320
> The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
> DEBUG: Setting ownership to root
> selfupdate done!
>
> I know for a fact that portfiles are update in the lat few days.
> I've no idea why updating is failing your help is appreciated. I'm
> running the latest version of MacOS X (10.4.9) on a MacBook Pro.

There's nothing wrong here. "sudo port selfupdate" is the same thing
as "sudo port sync", only that it also updates your base MacPorts
installation if necessary. MacPorts 1.320 is the latest version of
MacPorts base, which you already have, so it did not update it. And
just like "sudo port sync", it has synchronized your ports tree. Now
you can say things like "port outdated" to see which ports might be
outdated, and use "sudo port upgrade <portname>" to upgrade them.