Version confusion

Bas den Hond lists at butdifferent.com
Sat Mar 31 11:47:21 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I am confused as to how to request a certain version.

I have an svn tree next to the regular dports tree. The file URL is
in sources.conf.

Now if I do:

port search wxWidgets

the answer is:

wxWidgets                      graphics/wxWidgets 2.6.3        mature
cross-platform C++ GUI framework
wxWidgets-devel                graphics/wxWidgets-devel 2.7.1
mature cross-platform C++ GUI framework
wxWidgets                      graphics/wxWidgets 2.8.3        mature
cross-platform C++ GUI framework
wxWidgets-devel                graphics/wxWidgets-devel 2.8.3-rc1
mature cross-platform C++ GUI framework
wxWidgets26                    graphics/wxWidgets26 2.6.3
mature cross-platform C++ GUI framework

which is good, because I have two ports, so I would expect to have
two versions of these.

Now if I do

sudo port install wxWidgets

port reports:

--->  Fetching wxWidgets
--->  Attempting to fetch wxWidgets-2.6.3.tar.bz2 from ftp://
biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.6.3/

so I gather it grabs the first (not the most recent) wxWidgets that
it can find.

Now if I want to try the latest version and see if I can build it
(the impossibility of building it is why I have this setup, I need
2.6.3. so far) I would try, based on what the manpage says:

sudo port install wxWidgets at 2.8.3

But no, port starts fetching the same 2.6.3 version.

So what gives? I guess I could remove the svn tree from sources.conf
temporarily, but that seems klutzy...

Any explanation appreciated.

Bas