Emacs v XEmacs in ports

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:49:25 PDT 2007

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

> You suggest to the port author to have emacs be the default and
> supply a
> variant to override the default, say xemacs.  But if there is a common
> library or file that indicates the presence of either, you could
> use the
> "lib:" form of dependent specification that would accept either
> version of
> emacs.  It doesn't check for a port but a library of file.  The ports
> depending on X11 do this so you can either use Apple's X11 or the
> one from
> MacPorts.  Like this:
>
> lib:libX11.6:XFree86

Am I naive to propose that, in the case of something system-supplied
like Emacs, the dependency be omitted?

For Mozart it turns out I can override the default (emacs) by setting
an environment variable (OZEMACS=xemacs). Everyone can do this, so
IMHO the dependency on MacPorts emacs should be dropped.

cheers
peter