FAQ for new users/busted installs

Charles White chuck at chuckandmaggi.com
Sat May 5 17:25:34 PDT 2007

As one of the former fink users, I'll be happy to see your FAQ
additions. I tried to install MacPorts before I blew away /sw and
edited .profile. Since then, I've un-installed and re-installed
MacPorts a couple of times with the same result (appended below).
Help would be appreciated.

Chuck

Welcome to Darwin!
charles-whites-computer:~ chuck$ sudo port selfupdate
Password:
can't find package Pextlib 1.0
     while executing
"package_native require Pextlib 1.0"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval package_native $args"
     (procedure "package" line 14)
     invoked from within
"package require Pextlib 1.0"
     (procedure "dportinit" line 315)
     invoked from within
"dportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, can't
find package Pextlib 1.0
  charles-whites-computer:~ chuck$ env
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=133
USER=chuck
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
PWD=/Users/chuck
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/chuck
LOGNAME=chuck