rsync errors

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sun May 6 22:05:06 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,

> - Yes, I have to use a network, which prohibits to use port 873. I
> have to use a proxy server to connect to those services, which
> require this port, for example. Do you know how to configure
> MacPorts to connect via a proxy? I didn't find any ways to
> configure it.

I'm pretty sure that there's no setting in MacPorts per se.  Instead,
try setting the RSYNC_PROXY environment variable (see the "Connecting
to an rsync server" section of the rsync(1) man page).  If that
doesn't work, you could also try tunnelling the rsync connection over
ssh, though I don't know whether or not this will work.  To test
this, add '--rsh="<ssh_or_path_to_ssh>" to the rsync_options line in $
{prefix}/etc/ports/ports.conf (see also "Connecting to an rsync
server over a remote shell program" in the rsync(1) man page).  You
might also try running a local proxy to proxy connections to the
network proxy, and see if you can tunnel that way.

If none of the above work, you could see if you can check out the
dports part of the trunk from svn [1] and using that as a local port
tree by editing ${prefix}/etc/ports/sources.conf to add the path to
which you checked out a working copy (before the rsync one).  Keep in
mind that this will mean: (a) that you will get warnings about having
multiple port definitions (this isn't really a problem); (b) that you
will need to update your svn working copy via the "svn update"
command rather than "sudo port sync"; (c) you can't use this to
automatically update the MacPorts base code (though it's not that
much more difficult); and (d) you'll use more space than otherwise
necessary, especially if you switch between using svn checkout and
using port sync.

I hope that this hasn't confused you.  Feel free to ask any more
questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports