Did location of mysql.sock change in mysql5.0.37?

Bakki Kudva bakki.kudva at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:54:06 PDT 2007

On 5/7/07, Emory Smith <emory.smith at gmail.com> wrote:
> not sure what else to suggest ...
>
> youre sure none of the following exist on either box?

That's ok, thank you very much for all the info. I got it working for
now with a
ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
With this link it works like a charm..

I am still trying to figure out the reason why it  DOES work on Linux
and MacbookPro without the link. On the Linux box I see that there is
no /tmp/mysql.sock or a link. Instead on Debian Etch it is at
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

That's what it is set at in the /etc/mysql/my.cnf and debian.cnf

I also know that Rails defaults to /tmp/mysql.sock without it being
set to some other location in the database.yml file. Since the socket
attriubute is not set it should default to /tmp/mysql.sock.

> youre sure none of the following exist on either box?
>
> /etc/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf /opt/local/etc/mysql5/my.cnf

They exist on the Debian boxes as I've mentioned above, but on the Macs
the only my.cnf is in the ports distribution files. Not copied to any location.

> a diff of the result from
>
> mysql> show variables;
>
> should tell you whether its the configuration ...

This is from Debian

| slow_launch_time             | 2                           |
| socket                               | /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock |
| sort_buffer_size                | 2097144                     |

I'll do check tomorrow on the iMac which I am sure will be
/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

Thanks for your efforts :)

-bakki