Failed to initialize ports system, no suitable image found.

Jeff Fry jeff.fry at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:56:28 PDT 2007

Hi,

I just installed macports for the first time and am having some difficulty
getting started. What I've done so far:
1. ran installer (apparently successfully)
2. ran dhcp148:~ admin$ sudo port selfupdate

and got:
no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: mach-o,
but wrong architecture
    while executing
"load /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package_native require Pextlib 1.0"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval package_native $args"
    (procedure "package" line 14)
    invoked from within
"package require Pextlib 1.0"
    (procedure "dportinit" line 311)
    invoked from within
"dportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, no suitable
image found.  Did find:
        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: mach-o,
but wrong architecture

I googled "Failed to initialize ports system" and found references to folks
having trouble if they were also using Fink, but I haven't installed fink on
this machine. Nothing I saw in poking through the search results helped
so...

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks!
Jeff