General questions about install order and variants (Apache2, PHP5, Postgre

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 18 16:24:00 PDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 17:35, Mark Duling wrote:

> Chris Pickel on Friday, May 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM -0800 wrote:
>
>> On 18 May, 2007, at 15:53, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> On any port, +macosx, if available, is auto-selected if you're
>>> running Mac OS X, which is everybody.
>>
>> Ah. Isn't it normally 'platform macosx'? When I look at a Portfile, I
>> assume variants are mine to select and platforms are handled by
>> MacPorts.
>
> That's my question too.  Why isn't it a platform statement?

It looks like this wording originated from the patch in this ticket:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/1242

It was applied to php4 in this revision 3 years ago:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/4126

And it got carried over to php5 when that port was created.

Before I change "variant" to "platform" I would like to test a bit to
make sure that everything still works as expected. Please hold.