Python does not see Macports-installed modules. Why?

Chris Pickel chpickel at stwing.upenn.edu
Sat May 19 16:10:45 PDT 2007

On 19 May, 2007, at 18:42, Tarage wrote:
> Hi everyone. The subject line says it all. I'm trying to get py-
> gtk2 going on 10.3.9, and in that quest, I've let Macports install
> all the dependent libraries, including python24. However, when I go
> to the python prompt and run a help() then modules, it doesn't see
> any of the modules I've installed! I've experimented with adding
> various paths to the python search path, but apparently I'm not
> adding the right ones to pick up these modules. I've looked through
> the archives here and across the Web. How do I make sure that
> python will see the Macports-installed modules?

First off, have you modified your PATH? Does `where python` report /
opt/local/bin/python (MacPorts) or only /usr/bin/python (Apple)? If
the latter, then you need to follow instructions at the MacPorts wiki
[1] to make sure you run MacPorts' python.

Second, did the modules you want go to the right place? Does `ls /opt/
local/lib/python2.4/site-packages` list the gtk2 module?

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts

Chris