Wine works with Mac OS X PPC

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 21 17:48:27 PDT 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 15:47, mi demur wrote:

> do you know if Wine works with Mac OS X PPC ?
> it seems good because there is a ticket in 2002.
> if no, there are a solution ?

With "port search wine", I do not see any Wine port in MacPorts. I
see a portfile has been submitted in

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11286

and a newer one in

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11779

However, I expect this will only work on Intel Macs. See to the FAQ
on the Wine web site:

http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#UNDER-WHAT-PLATFORMS-
WILL-WINE-RUN

"Thus running Windows binaries on other platforms (e.g. Mac OS X on
PowerPC) using just Wine is *not* possible."

The FAQ also says that support in Intel Macs is somewhat poor at this
time:

http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#WILL-WINE-RUN-ON-MACINTEL

"There are some complicated issues surrounding Wine on Mac OS X.
Working with low-level features, such as signal handling and system
registers, are quite different on Mac OS X. Further hampering the
issue are some bugs within the operating system. Beyond that,
integration on Mac OS X becomes difficult because it is vastly
different than a traditional *nix desktop. Menuing and graphics
drivers are just two areas that require a complete reimplementation
in order to be functional."

Further questions about Wine should be directed to the Wine mailing
list.

Since Wine is probably a poor option on Intel Macs and not an option
at all on PowerPC Macs, you should look at other options for running
Windows software on a Mac. For PowerPC-based Macs your only option is
probably Microsoft VirtualPC, which emulates an Intel processor, and
emulators are slow. If you need to run Windows on a Mac, your best
option for acceptable speed is to buy an Intel-based Mac and use
either Apple's free Boot Camp beta or the commercial Parallels
Desktop. All of these options would require you to buy Windows as well.