macports-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 75

Derek Harland derek at chocolate-fish.com
Mon May 21 21:39:57 PDT 2007

Hi Guillame

I can partially help shed light ... the python24 install by default
includes a Framework.  Having only recently transitioned from solaris
to osx so I have no idea what the significance of that is beyond it
seeming to be a way of bundling libraries along with their headers
and other resources. [I'd like to know though .. anyone?]

As to the two site-packages ... the install is patched so that both
appear in the default path.  You'll find that
(i) any packages that use distutils to install themselves (ie
setup.py style) will appear in /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages
as distutils doesn't realise its on a mac as opposed to a generic
unix (os.name = 'posix')
(ii) any packages that handle their own install and try to munge
sys.prefix will end up in the Framework site-packages directory (as
sys.prefix=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4)

You can avoid building a framework if you install python24 with the
+puredarwin variant.  I haven't actually done this myself but I
expect it would look like a bog standard linux/solaris install.

derek.