port outdated failure message

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 25 14:26:38 PDT 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 15:03, Valentin Kuznetsov wrote:

> somehow I did something to my port collection that I can't longer
> list outdated ports, can't upgrade and do any other maintenance,
> except installing a new port. The message I'm getting is the
> following:
>
> vk at localhost(16:01:04)> port -v outdated
> Error: port installed failed: list must have an even number of
> elements
> No ports are installed.

I don't know why. Maybe you have an old version of MacPorts, and
maybe the recent changes to the portindex weren't as backward-
compatible as we thought they were. Please try updating MacPorts.
"sudo port selfupdate"

> When I run portindex I've got 0 errors, but along the output lines
> I saw:
> Adding port sysutils/socat
> Error: ==== ATTENTION!!!! ====
> Error: Sockstat is not working under darwin 8 nor tiger. Please use
> Error: lsof -i6/lsof -i4/lsof -U instead.
> Error: ==== ATTENTION!!!! ====
>

> but at the end of the list the output looks:
> Total number of ports parsed:   3986
> Ports successfully parsed:      3986
> Ports failed:
>

> So, I tried to remove this port, but it fail:
> vk at localhost(15:49:31)> sudo port uninstall sockstat
> Password:
> Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: sockstat not
> registered as installed.

The sockstat port is written incorrectly. It prints a message on
Tiger, when any operation is performed with the port, including
something like portindex. It should not do that. I'll make a new
thread and Cc the maintainer.