ocaml won't compile/install {Scanned}

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 18 09:03:47 PST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Le 18 nov. 07 à 14:47, HENRY HOLLENBERG a écrit :
>
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I am trying to install ocaml so I can compile unison which depends
>> on ocaml so I can
>> synchronize my files between my MacBookPro and AMD64 Ubuntu box.
>> Had to get
>> the latest unison (2.27.10) I could find to overcome a 64 bit
>> integer bug which was crashing
>> file transfers.
>>
>> Since then Unison has worked flawlessly between MBP 10.4 and Ubuntu-
>> AMD64.
>>
>> Then I did the leopard upgrade.  Wrecked apple mail, now using
>> Thunderbird and I can't
>> get my old version of ocaml (3.10.0) to compile.  It compiled fine
>> on 10.4.
>>
>> So I downloaded MacPorts to get that version of ocaml:
>>
>> sh-3.2# port search ocaml
>> ocaml                          lang/ocaml     3.10.0
>> Objective Caml is an implementation of the ML language
>> ocaml-mode.el                  lang/ocaml-mode.el 3.05         An
>> EMACS major mode for editing OCaml programs.
>> ocamlduce                      lang/ocamlduce 3.08.4pl3
>> Objective Caml extensions for manipulating XML
>>

>> But when I try to install I get:
>>
>> sh-3.2# port install ocaml
>> Error: Error executing darwin_9: invalid command name
>> "macosx_deployment_target"
>> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>>

>> I don't think it is a bad install of MacPorts as I have loaded
>> several packages succesfully:
>>
>> sh-3.2# port installed
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>> expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
>> gettext @0.17_0 (active)
>> libiconv @1.11_6 (active)
>> py-chart @1.37_0 (active)
>> python24 @2.4.4_1+darwin_9 (active)
>> python25 @2.5.1_2+darwin_9 (active)
>>
>> Is their some way I can edit the sources on ocaml to get it to
>> compile?
>>
>> If not, How long do these type things usually take to get fixed in
>> MacPorts? ie when should I check back....daily, weekly, monthly???
>
> Depends on the port, the problem and the availability of the
> maintainer :)
> I am the maintainer of ocaml, but I don't have Leopard and I have
> been vaguely inactive lately, especially when the following lines
> were added to ocaml Portfile:
>
> platform darwin 9 {
>    macosx_deployment_target 10.4
> }
>
> This is what breaks on your system. Judging from the Changelog, this
> command hasn't been released yet, and this is why it breaks. I guess
> you can either:
> - get the latest development version of MacPorts (or the 1.6 RC, if
> it includes this command)
> - replace it with something that should work on the previous release
> of MacPorts, such as:
> configure.env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4
>
> I'm Ccing Kevin who might have a clue.
>
> Paul

I reported this a week ago --http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13236
also if this *was* valid should it not be = 10.5 for darwin_9 not 10.4
as shown in portfile

@ Henry
sudo port edit ocaml
will let you edit the port file (assuming you have env value EDITOR
defined)
try adding # at the begining of those three lines

# platform darwin_9
#   macosx_deployment_target 10.4
# }

Then try again. Note: this change will go away the next time you do
sudo port selfupdate, but that doesnt matter if the software installed
it will stay installed.

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.1 Darwin 9.1.0