Oracle support in PHP?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 21 19:52:10 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 21:01, John Korchok wrote:

> I was recently required to start connecting to Oracle databases for
> some of
> the pages I serve. I was wondering if we ever might see an -oci8
> variant
> that installs the Oracle library for php4/php5?

I'd be happy to add it to php5 if you'll tell me how to build php5
with oracle support.

But I imagine we'd first need a port for the oracle libraries. "port
search oracle" and "port search oci" don't return any results.

Is the oracle software even freely available? I thought it was
commercial.

I see there's a free "instantclient" but they only have PowerPC Mac
binaries at this time?