problem initializing macports

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 26 03:52:25 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 5:39 AM, tania habib wrote:

> I have Macbook Pro with mac osx 10.4, I previously installed the
> macports on the same machine and it was running perfectly. Then I did
> not use it for a while and now when I go to the terminal window, and
> type port it gives me this error
> no suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
> mach-o, but wrong architecture
>    while executing
> "load /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib"
>    ("package ifneeded" script)
>    invoked from within
> "package_native require Pextlib 1.0"
>    ("eval" body line 1)
>    invoked from within
> "eval package_native $args"
>    (procedure "package" line 14)
>    invoked from within
> "package require Pextlib 1.0"
>    (procedure "dportinit" line 311)
>    invoked from within
> "dportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system, no
> suitable image found.  Did find:
>        /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib:
> mach-o, but wrong architecture
>
> Should I uninstall the whole thing and start from the beginning or is
> there any other way?
>
> I have tried this command
>>> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/receipts/
>>> find . -name receipt.bz2 | sed -E 's%^\./(.*)/(.*)/receipt\.bz2$%
>>> \1 @\2%'
> but I do not know what to do next!
>
> Please let me know an easier way out of this mess!
>
> tania

Tania, I think Paul wanted you to copy the results of that command (or
the other one he gave you) and tell it to us.
However looking at error output above shows a reference to /opt/local/
share/darwinports/  ............
There is no darwinports directory in my own installation (version
1.52) and I dont think the term "darwinports" has been used anywhere
in a very long time since the Project is now called MacPorts.  This
suggests you have a [b] very [/b] old version of the Macports system.
Others can tell you if its updatable.

If you bash shell told you command not found when you tried to do sudo
port -d selfupdate then your path is surely wrong. So you have two
problems.  Were you in an xterm window or a Terminal window? were you
logged in?
if you try the command env you will see yor environment values printed
on screen. PATH should START:

PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:bunch_of_other_stuff

Does it?