Problem installing redland-bindings +python (python 2.3 dependency)

David Larlet larlet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 09:24:26 PST 2007

Hi all,

I got some trouble with the python redland--binding on leopard, here
is the difference with the ruby installation:

$ sudo port install redland-bindings +ruby
--->  Fetching redland-bindings
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for redland-bindings
--->  Extracting redland-bindings
--->  Configuring redland-bindings
--->  Building redland-bindings with target all
--->  Staging redland-bindings into destroot
--->  Installing redland-bindings 1.0.6.1_0+ruby
--->  Activating redland-bindings 1.0.6.1_0+ruby
--->  Cleaning redland-bindings

$ sudo port install redland-bindings +python
--->  Building python23 with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_lang_python23/work/Python-2.3.6" && make
all " returned error 2
Command output: gcc -L/opt/local/lib -u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -
framework System -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation -o
python.exe \
			Modules/python.o \
			-L. -lpython2.3 -ldl -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation
Undefined symbols:
   "__dummy", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [python.exe] Error 1

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: python23

The issue seemed to be a python23 dependency so I decide to install
this one but I got another problem at this point:

$ sudo port install python23
--->  Building python23 with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_lang_python23/work/Python-2.3.6" && make
all " returned error 2
Command output: gcc -L/opt/local/lib -u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -
framework System -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation -o
python.exe \
			Modules/python.o \
			-L. -lpython2.3 -ldl -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation
Undefined symbols:
   "__dummy", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [python.exe] Error 1

which were already reported here: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-November/006972.html

Now what can I do? I think it should more interesting to depends on
python24 but at least to allow me to install python23, or maybe I'm
doing something wrong?

Regards,
David