problem with libraries path

Rémi Thébault rtbo.mailing at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 04:54:41 PST 2007

Hi

I have some problems with pathes and env. variables. It seems my
system get confused and doesn't want in some situations to find
libraries or headers elsewhere than /opt/local.

here is my profile file:

$ cat ~/.profile
#
# Your previous .profile  (if any) is saved as .profile.mpsaved
# Setting the path for MacPorts.
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/
sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include:/opt/local/include:/sw/
include:/usr/include
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/opt/local/lib:/sw/lib:/usr/lib

I have for instance installed liblrdf in /usr/local and when I want to
build Ardour from source (it uses scons instead of ./configure &&
make) :

ardour-2.1 $ scons AUDIOUNITS=1 COREAUDIO=1 GTKOSX=1 FFT_ANALYSIS=1
SURFACES=1
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0... yes
Checking for gthread-2.0... yes
Checking for lrdf... no
lrdf >= 0.4.0 not found.
You do not have the necessary dependencies required to build ardour
Please consult http://ardour.org/building for more information

a workaround is to install all dependencies in /opt/local, but I don't
like it, and some of them (like JackOSX) cannot be installed elsewhere
than /usr/local.

I would like to find a system wide way to make any building or
configure script look first in /usr/local then in /opt/local to find
whatever is needed (libraries or headers).
I assue this behaviour should be automatic but it's not, and I've
never had this kind of problem on linux.

May be this a problem specific to scons ?
I've tried to specify CFLAGS : $ CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -I/opt/
local/include -I/usr/include" scons
but the same error occurs.

Rémi
Intel Macbook, Leopard 10.5.1