problem installing Wireshark on Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 27 06:07:43 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 07:07, walts wrote:

> I'm having the same issues as Michael Hernandez.  Here's what I get
> following your suggestion:
>
> Macintosh:~ walts$ sudo port clean --all atk
> --->  Cleaning atk
> Macintosh:~ walts$ sudo port -d install atk

[snip]

> DEBUG: Found port in
> file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/
> ports/textproc/expat
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> textproc/expat
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port expat.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port expat.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port expat.
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: expat
> DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for expat
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (gettext)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (gettext)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (gettext)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.extract (gettext)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.patch (gettext)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.configure (gettext)
> --->  Building gettext with target all
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (gettext)
> DEBUG: Environment:
> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17"
> && make all'
> sh: line 0: cd:
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17:
> No such file or directory
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17"
> && make all " returned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 0: cd:
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17:
> No such file or directory
>
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for gettext):
> org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot
> org.macports.install
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gettext glib2
> Macintosh:~ walts$
> ==============
>
> Do I read correctly, all the "Requested variant....not found"
> indicates
> something wrong with the modules themselves?

No, that does not indicate any problem. MacPorts automatically looks
for variants of certain names in all ports. Most ports do not provide
these variants, and MacPorts, in debug mode, prints a message about
that. It's not an error. It's just informative.

> I have tried individually installing each of the missing
> dependencies, but
> no joy there either:
>
> Macintosh:~ walts$ sudo port install gettext
> --->  Building gettext with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17"
> && make all " returned error 1
> Command output: sh: line 0: cd:
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _gettext/work/gettext-0.17:
> No such file or directory

[snip]

So all your problems at this point stem from gettext 0.17 not
installing. I'm the maintainer of gettext, but I've never seen this
error before. I can't imagine why the gettext work directory wouldn't
exist. Please clean and try again.

sudo port clean --work gettext
sudo port install gettext

Let us know if you get the same (or different) errors then.