how to mark a port as installed

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 16:23:21 PDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2007, at 19:40, Aaron Voisine wrote:
>
> > Is there any good way to mark a port as already having been installed
> > if you've built and installed it manually? I don't want the version I
> > built with special configure options to get overwritten when I install
> > another port that depends on it.
>
> By design, MacPorts only depends on other software installed using
> MacPorts, and not on any software you've installed manually.
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
> FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries
>
> If you need options for a software package that are not in the
> MacPorts port for that software, perhaps the options can be added to
> the port. Consult the port maintainer, or if there is none, this list.

A specific example would have been helpful but it sounds like the need is
for something MacPorts would install as a dependency and overwrite the OP's
hand-crafted configuration. I guess one option would be to let MacPorts
install it, backup the installation receipt, remove it, install the custom
version, and put the receipt back in place. MacPorts thinks the dependency
is satisfied and barring upgrades, all is well.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>