port -u upgrade outdated

Thomas De Contes d.l.tDeContes at free.fr
Wed Oct 3 16:54:43 PDT 2007

Le 4 oct. 07 à 00:45, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 08:14, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>
>> when i do
>>
>> port -u upgrade outdated
>>
>> i get a lot of errors like
>>
>> --->  Unable to uninstall xxxx, the following ports depend on it:
>> Error: Uninstall xxxx failed: Please uninstall the ports that
>> depend on fontconfig first.
>>

>> but, this command is supposed to know how to update while making
>> the things in the good order, isn't it ??
>
> not really.
>
> i suggest you upgrade each port individually, in the correct order.
>
> if you get a message that a port cannot be uninstalled because
> another port depends on it, then force the upgrade
>
> sudo port -nf upgrade foo
>
> the "n" tells macports not to follow dependencies, else it would
> also force the rebuild of all the dependencies, even if they were
> not outdated and did not need to be upgraded.

that will not put in a script,

but "port upgrade outdated" works (i had not the idea to try it
earlier), so there is nothing urgent :-)

so, i think i can finish my script (for install or update macports,
according to what is necessary) with :
"
port upgrade outdated || exit

port install subversion || exit
port install mpfr || exit
port install gtk2 || exit
"

i'll let you know if i have other problems :-)

there is still a minor problem : waste of disk space
since each old version remains on the disk, whereas they are
completely useless :-/

do you see what i mean ?
well, is there some guys who work on macports, who would like to look
at this problem, to allow us to make a script which automatically
updates macports without waste of disk space ?

--
j'agis contre l'assistanat, je travaille dans une SCOP !