fubar'd libz

ara.t.howard ara.t.howard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:20:21 PDT 2007

hi all-

a while back i started having application throw errors complaining
about libz.  things like:

   cfp:/opt/local/lib > gem --version

   cfp:/opt/local/lib > gem --version 2>&1|less
   dyld: NSLinkModule() error
   dyld: Symbol not found:
   <snip binary>
   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib
   Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib

i haven't done any manual compiling in there at all - just port
installs of various packages.

anyhow, i moved /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib to /opt/local/lib/libz.
1.dylib.org to see if the linker would pick on something compatible
and, for the most part it has.  however, now i can't compile anything
that links against things like libcrypto, etc, that originally linked
against libz.1.dylib: the compilation will abort with symbols not found.

so basically what i have is a libz which seems to have gotten
clobbered - some stuff needs the old one and some the newest (1.2.3)
one.

back in linux land i know how to address these issues but, here on
the mac, i'm not sure where to begin.

can anyone give me advice on figuring out what happened and how to fix?

kind regards.

a @ http://drawohara.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama