unregistered files/modules

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 08:21:33 PDT 2007

On 10/8/07, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> hottie:~% sudo port install gnupg
> --->  Activating gnupg 1.4.7_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
> share/locale/locale.alias already exists and does not belong to a
> registered port.  Unable to activate port gnupg.
> hottie:~% sudo rm -i /opt/local/share/locale/locale.alias
> remove /opt/local/share/locale/locale.alias? y
> hottie:~% sudo port install gnupg
> --->  Activating gnupg 1.4.7_0
> --->  Cleaning gnupg
>
> I think I would have had to rm and restart about 50 times during
> installation of gnupg, but fortunately I was able to remove a whole
> lot of files at once, using Unix * wildcard. Don't like using
> wildcards when I'm root.
>
> Since not one single package I have installed has reported that it is
> up to date, it looks as though I should do something like "sudo port
> install all", shouldn't I?

what does "port provides /opt/local/share/locale/locale.alias" tell you? it
says it's unregistered or unassociated with any installed port, so I don't
think anything will be revealed. Have you installed anything manually (ie,
from source w/o MacPorts) on this system?
If you haven't got anything /opt/local that isn't owned by MacPorts, you can
use "port -f install gnupg" to override any of the issues you're seeing.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>