"man port" not working?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 8 13:01:29 PDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 12:49, Instruct ICC wrote:

> >>I could swear that "man port" worked at home.
> > >
> > >At work, I get
> > >No manual entry for port
> > >
> > >Even after re-running the installer (which claimed it did an
> upgrade).
> > >
> > >How do I remove Macports (permanently/completely or so I can try
> a reinstall)?
> > >Or how do I fix man?
> > >
> > >"man php" works.
> >
> > Maybe a problem with the path: what does
> > echo $MANPATH
> > report ?
>
> In Terminal (as opposed to X11 xterm) where "port search php" works:
> /sw/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11R6/man:/
> sw/lib/perl5/5.8.6/man
>
> Should there be (Was there an) /opt/... when it worked?
> Maybe Porticus hosed it?

MacPorts does not set your MANPATH to anything. You may set it if you
wish.

I see /sw in your path there. So I guess you have Fink installed too.
That's just asking for trouble. I recommend you use either Fink or
MacPorts, but not both. Completely remove the one you no longer wish
to use.

I also see /usr/local in that path. Stuff in /usr/local can interfere
with MacPorts too. I recommend you remove everything from /usr/local
and use MacPorts to install whatever software you need. If software
you need is not in MacPorts, portfiles can be added.