unregistered files/modules

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 15:56:28 PDT 2007

On 10/8/07, David Epstein <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> Paul Beard-2 wrote:

> >> share/locale/locale.alias already exists and does not belong to a
> >> registered port.
> >
> > what does "port provides /opt/local/share/locale/locale.alias" tell you?
> > it
> > says it's unregistered or unassociated with any installed port, so I
> don't
> > think anything will be revealed. Have you installed anything manually
> (ie,
> > from source w/o MacPorts) on this system?
> > If you haven't got anything /opt/local that isn't owned by MacPorts, you
> > can
> > use "port -f install gnupg" to override any of the issues you're seeing.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
> > <paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>
> >

> Thanks to everyone for very helpful comments. The whole set-up was very
> mysterious, and has now become much clearer. The material in /opt/local/
> was
> installed by a programmer. I have no idea how he did it, but it was a long
> time ago, maybe before Darwinports was really up and running, let alone
> Macports. So macports is refusing to delete these files under automation,
> and that's obviously the right thing for port to do unless there is a
> special flag. It is still not clear to me what will happen if I give a
> command like "port -f install gnupg". Practically NOTHING in my large
> /opt/local comes from MacPorts, so Paul is suggesting that I should
> therefore not use -f. But that's exactly WHY I want to use -f.

eh, not exactly ;-) but perhaps my meaning was opaque.

Now that we know you have some stuff in /opt/local that you don't want to
deal with, here's a suggestion. Move it aside (mv /opt/local
/opt/local/old), and reinstall MacPorts from scratch. My guess is you'll be
home free once you do that.

A number of
> my programs in /opt/local just don't work on my new Intel Mac, so I have
> upgrade. What are the dangers of using -f? Would it help me, in view of
> the
> fact that the files I want to delete do not come from MacPorts? Or would
> MacPorts still refuse to delete? I don't like the idea of using a force
> command without knowing fairly well what damage it might do.

All it will do is overwrite old files and move aside the old versions of the
files it replaces.