Missing directory in qt3?

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Tue Oct 9 00:11:13 PDT 2007

Citando Linc Davis :
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 8:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 8, 2007, at 22:09, Linc Davis wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to port the QT3-X11 application evolvotron:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/evolvotron
>>>
>>> There's a Fink package for it, so I thought it would be a simple matter
>>> to write a portfile. But I'm getting hung up by the following lines in
>>> the makefile for the first build target:
>>>
>>> $(MOC):
>>> 	( cd $(QTDIR)/src/moc && $(MAKE) )
>>>
>>> I have QTDIR set to ${prefix}/lib/qt3, but there is no directory
>>> $(QTDIR)/src/moc. A similar problem was reported by an OpenBSD user on a
>>> Trolltech mailing list, with the following response:
>>>
>>> ---

>>> Ah, OK. I thought you meant Qt 3 relies on obsolete system files. The
>>> problem here is just that OpenBSD haven't packaged Qt correctly.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> http://lists.trolltech.com/qsa-interest/2005-08/msg00013.html
>>>
>>> So there seems to be a problem with the qt3 port.
>>
>> I would rather say that it sounds like the evolvotron software package
>> requires the *source* of qt3 in order to build. MacPorts ports do not
>> install their source; they only install the libraries and other binaries
>> and other files resulting from compiling the source. Sounds like you may
>> have to download the qt3 source again in your port and extract it and use
>> that.
>
> Trolltech apparently considers $(QTDIR)/src to be required. Should there be
> something like a Fink dev package for qt3 that contains files only needed
> at compile time?

And they consider good practice to go into a system directory and run
make? I don't think so. And if they do, It is really really bad...

>>> $(MOC):
>>> 	( cd $(QTDIR)/src/moc && $(MAKE) )

If qt3 is installed, there should be no need to build $(MOC).
moc should be built by qt3-x11 (at least, qt3-mac does and puts it in
/opt/local/bin/). In principle, QT Apps should build provided you tell
them QTDIR=/opt/local (put ${prefix} instead of /opt/local) and if
needed tweak the Makefile to tell where the bins and libs are
($QTDIR/bin and $QTDIR/lib/qt3 I suppose).

Emmanuel